Workshop of Raphael
(School of Raphael, after Donatello)
Copy from Donatello's "Miracle of the Miser's Heart" (recto)
early 16th century
10 1/16 in. x 8 in. (25.56 cm. x 20.32 cm.)
Medium and Support
pen and brown ink on paper
Bequest of the Honorable James Bowdoin III
This drawing was inspired by one of Donatello’s reliefs for the high altar of Padua’s Sant’ Antonio church and was likely executed by a member of Raphael’s studio. Raphael himself incorporated elements from Donatello’s relief in several of his own paintings. The three figures in the center of this composition, for instance, appear on the right edge of Raphael’s “School of Athens” in the Vatican’s Stanza della Segnatura. This piece was among the first old master drawings to arrive in the United States at some point during the second quarter of the eighteenth century. It was bequeathed by the College’s founding benefactor James Bowdoin III in 1811, together with 70 paintings and 140 other old master drawings.
Help us make our collections more accessible by providing keywords to describe this artwork. The BCMA uses the
Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus to
provide consistent keywords. Enter a keyword in the field below and you will be prompted with a list of possible matching AAT preferred terms.